Each month Youth Ministries feature three Features of the Month.
- Moment of the Month features our fun youth ministry finds, you will see everything from movie trailers to magazine ads to YouTube videos.
- Link of the Month features a recommended youth ministry site.
- Taste of the Month features a taste of training or something we think would be worth you to nibble on for sharing Jesus with this generation of youth.
Check em’ out and enjoy!
Moment of the Month
Some of the sights and sounds of the FLY 2015 Convention
Link of the Month
We have three portfolios from our national youth gathering. One has evening sessions, another has NightLYF clips, and the third has the daily highlight videos. All are open for your use in congregation or youth group through Vimeo.
Taste of the Month
"Understanding Today's Teens" by Walt Mueller
Dr. Walt Mueller from the Center for Parent/Youth Understanding (CPYU) shared some excellent elective hours for parents and leaders at the FLY Convention. One topic he addressed was remembering to see how the culture is the “soup that teens swim in every day”. This influence is significant as marketers sell more than products, but an identity and a worldview.
“The FLY theme of Identity,” Mueller explained, “is absolutely brilliant!” He commented that since the culture is seeking to give them an identity that God’s Word is crucial to present the identity that can only be found in Jesus Christ.
In one application of this approach, Walt Mueller summarized a way to frame ministry with youth as “Introducing them to God’s Story”:
1) Know God’s unchanging Word
2) Know changing kids and their changing world
3) Take the unchanging Word to changing kids in a changing world.
Which of those three handles do you need to address as a leader?
For more on Dr. Walt Mueller and CPYU, go to www.cpyu.org.
For more on AFLC Youth Ministries tools, go to www.aflc.org/youth.
- Rev. Jason Holt
AFLC Director of Youth Ministries