Each month Youth Ministries feature three Features of the Month.
- Moment of the Month features our fun youth ministry finds, you will see everything from movie trailers to magazine ads to YouTube videos.
- Link of the Month features a recommended youth ministry site.
- Taste of the Month features a taste of training or something we think would be worth you to nibble on for sharing Jesus with this generation of youth.
Check em’ out and enjoy!
Moment of the Month
Summer 2016 - "Splash!"
MPLS Missions Trip
Overview of "Splash!":
- Opportunity: Participate in a community outreach of children's ministry in North Minneapolis
- Date Options: July 11-15, July 25-29, and August 8-12, 2016
- Group Schedule: Arrive on a Monday afternoon/evening, serve for Tuesday through Thursday, and head home on Friday/Saturday.
- Size of Group: 12-15 people including a minimum one adult leader for each gender
- Ministry: An activity of Hope Lutheran Church (AFLC) in Minneapolis
* Stay at our church for free (the group would have access to our showers, kitchen, and some classrooms for sleeping)
* Supper with an orientation Monday evening (Meet some of Hope's youth group members and "Splash!" team members)
* Lunch with the "Splash"! program on Tuesday-Thursday
* Debriefings with some of our "Splash!" team after each day
The attending youth group is responsible for:
* Breakfast for their group Tuesday-Friday/Saturday
* Lunch on Friday/Saturday
* Supper on Tuesday-Friday/Saturday
* Friday's activities (we suggest a fun activity like Valley Fair, zoo, something else)
* Their own team devotions
* Afternoon Service opportunities: Feed My Starving Children, Marie Sandvik Center, AFLBS maintenance; these are just a few of the other ministries in the Metro area that a group could plug into in the afternoons
* We would work together with the youth leaders to see what pieces of "Splash!" their kids can plug into (games/crafts/puppets/singing/etc.)
* Game night/activities together with Hope's youth group (depending on dates and group's plans)
With the planning process involved for a youth group, inquiries will be taken on a first come, first served basis.
Please contact Heidi Nelson, Hope Lutheran Church Children's Ministry Director. For her contact information, email the AFLC Youth Ministries office at [email protected]
Link of the Month
Your Teen's New Favorite Drug
Studies like this link are demonstrating that technology has the capacity to direct our decisions and priorities. It is true about any tool, but what we do with the tool always becomes the question.
What are you seeing?
Do the teens and their families that you serve finding healthy boundaries with phones? Why or why not?What can be done to assist them in Christ-centered approaches to this area?
Taste of the Month
"5 Youth Culture Megatrends" by Walt Mueller
Dr. Walt Mueller from the Center for Parent/Youth Understanding presented “5 Youth Culture Megatrends” at Inspiration Point Bible Camp on September 25, 2015. For more on CPYU, you can find resources at www.cpyu.org
In a snapshot, here is what he shared in this seminar:
1) The “Me”Teens are consumed by self and convinced that self is the supreme authority
Strategies – teach what the Biblical understanding is of priorities and humility
2) The MomentTeens are convinced that living in the moment is the only way to approach daily choices.
Strategies – teach God’s story and the wisdom of thinking through consequences.
3) The MarketingTeens are susceptible to influence as brands seek to instill loyalty at the youngest age possible.
Strategies – model discernment in media choices and ask probing questions of ads with our teens.
4) The “Much”Teens are navigating a realm that majors in the overloading of schedules, responsibilities, and distractions.
Strategies – model the Biblical direction of a weekly Sabbath rest and on the value of being still and knowing the Lord is God.
5) The MessTeens are walking in a broken world with the backpack of pulling pressures from all directions.
Strategies – point to the redemption of Jesus Christ and Him crucified in the midst of chaotic crisis.