Each month Youth Ministries feature three Features of the Month.
- Moment of the Month features our fun youth ministry finds, you will see everything from movie trailers to magazine ads to YouTube videos.
- Link of the Month features a recommended youth ministry site.
- Taste of the Month features a taste of training or something we think would be worth you to nibble on for sharing Jesus with this generation of youth.
Check em’ out and enjoy!
Moment of the Month
Popular artist Adele surprised many by asking someone at her concert to put down her phone and "enjoy it in real life". Walt Mueller from CPYU comments on how we can utilize this moment to spark some conversations with youth in our congregations and families.
-What are you tempted to record instead of encounter?
- What does Colossians 4:2-6 say that applies to our phone focus?
- How can we maximize technology for our spiritual maturity?
Link of the Month
7 Youth Min Numbers
I often get asked about topics such as what criteria brings a congregation to a full-time youth worker, how many adults should be involved in the lives of teens, and how can a congregation assess numbers without regularly being caught in the comparison trap. This article distills some details from Mark DeVries and Youth Ministry Architects.
Celebrating 9 years as National Youth Director this summer, I would say that these guidelines tend to show themselves to be true within our AFLC family. When I have made the comment on budgeted funds per teen per year, I have received push back, “There is no way!” But once that leader thinks about camp retreats, confirmation events, FLY Convention, and more, it tends to get in that range when averaged over the years.
Of utmost importance, how can we continue to engage caring, believing adults to be walking alongside the next generation?
With a Goal of Spiritual Life & Spiritual Maturity,
Rev. Jason Holt
AFLC Director of Youth Ministries
Taste of the Month
In a dozen minutes, a veteran leader on smaller congregations offers a dozen insights in a video interview at the YS Idea Lab.
Don’t have 12 minutes to listen right now? The blog summarizes a few of the key lessons.
What do these mean for your setting?