“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and [o]foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 22:36-40
1. What is the first and great commandment? Matthew 22:37-38, Mark 12:30
2. What is the second commandment? Matthew 22:39, Mark 12:31
3. Who is our neighbor? Luke 10:25-37
1. ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ Matthew 22:37
2. ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ Matthew 22:38
3. Our neighbor is anyone we come in contact with. Jesus in answering the certain lawyer’s question in verse 29 presents the parable of the Good Samaritan. The certain man, a Jew, who was attacked by thieves, was not a friend, not even an acquaintance of the Samaritan. In fact, the Jews would not have any dealings with Samaritans. They looked down on them. However, this did not stop the Samaritan from being a friend to him and helping him.
Look up question #60 in Luther’s small catechism